Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Cons of Excessive Planning

It's kind of crazy at how much of a planner that I am.  I am a firm believer in balance.  So I do think that everything is good in some form of balance, at the right time, and the right place.  At the same time, I think that everything can become bad when it becomes excessive. Some things more than others.  So when it comes to my level of planning.  I think it has gotten into a state of obsession. Something that I'm learning to control and balance out.

So here's my "latest" planning problem:

I'm going to be a junior next year. Meaning, I have a year and a half to study and prepare for what to do after graduating.  Options: 1-> work.  2 -> Go to grad school.

I think I'm going to most likely go through option 2.  It's not necessarily a bad option at all. However, I am in charge of basically getting myself there.  I will have to pay for it, everything.  The thing is, I don't really know where I should go.  The options that I have rally are VCU and Liberty. It will be so much cheaper for me to go to either one.  I really don't think it would come to be any more than $5k per year. So that would be $10k all together.  Which is doable.  I have a pretty good savings plan for the next two years. I would believe that after graduating, I would have about $6k saved.  But that doesn't really include other possible work that I will get money for here and there.  The thing that I'm thinking about is that it may just be better for my pockets.. if I did grad school at VCU.  Got a small apartment and (possibly some roommates to keep the costs down).  In a pretty nice area outside of the campus.  There I could get a loan to pay specifically for school and then have the money saved to get a jump start on living expenses and possibly getting a partime job.

Job options seem to be pretty doable. I could be a graduate assistant at VCU considering my grades and resume look good (which will be pretty nice after I will have completed two internships and the work that I have with my dad this summer).


Then of course there's the GRE/GMAT. I looked through the GMAT and I couldn't even get through the math section.  It's going to take a lot of time and preparation. I haven't looked through the GRE yet. Though, I do think that I should do it soon.


Going to Liberty is a good option.  I don't have to take any exams either.

So the fact of the matter is, I'm sitting at this computer for HOURS researching something that I really don't have to "worry" about for another year. I know it's good to be prepared, but I do think that this is a little out of control.

I don't exactly live by my planner, I just somehow have it written down somewhere on a peace of paper or in my head.  I'm constantly thinking "this needs to be done, this needs to be done". Then if something doesn't go as planned, I just feel as though I'm going to have a nervous breakdown or something.  One day, I want to just go a week without planning a thing.  Just up and do something whenever I need to.  But then I'm sure when I decide to do that, it would be the wrong time to do it.

Well, I will get it under control.  Haha I guess I just can't help it sometimes.

-Quayla

No comments:

Post a Comment