Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Called to Lead

I am two books behind on my blog list (ha I'll get to that hopefully within the next few days).  But for some reason I had the urge to post about this book that I'm currently reading, Called to Lead.  I usually wouldn't write a post about it until I completed it.  Truth is, I'm not even halfway finished the book.  But I really would like to share a few things here and there that I have learned thus far.  I think that this book just may require several posts from me.

The crazy thing about this book is that before I even really paid attention to the title, I decided that I would take more time this Summer studying Paul's Epistles.  I was in the starting process of reading through Acts in my quiet times while reading through the other books that I had on my reading list in my leisure times. My original plan, I believe, was to read Called to Lead last  (The words were just so small on one page lol).  So far, I read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy, and The Way of the Shepherd. I was started to read "Not a Fan". However, some things changed around and I decided to crack Called to Lead open.  When I picked up the book, I realized that the subtitle was "26 Leadership Lessons from the Life of the Apostle Paul".  I was definitely excited because it went with exactly what I was led to do this Summer in my quiet times: Study different leaders in the Bible, taking note of the things that they did right and wrong, and then applying them to my leadership style so that I can grow as a leader.  I firmly believe, especially through reading this book, that Paul is probably one of the most important leaders to study. This book has definitely given me the guide that I needed.  

So far, God has definitely revealed to me that things that I am strong in as a leader, as well as the areas of my life where I am weak.  I think its funny that God has actually started working on those specific things with me before I even got the book.  Take empathy for example.  I struggled with that most of my life. I used to feel as though empathy was a weakness lol. This year, God has definitely helped me become empathetic, but with a balance.  Knowing when it's needed, and when it's not.  

God has also revealed to me that there are going to be areas in my leadership style that other people are not going to like. I've learned that my particular leadership style includes my association with people that don't necessarily have the same relationship with God that I do. Especially a few of my friends. They're struggling with sin and somehow are pulling away from God.  I learned that loyalty is a quality that I need to have.  I need to make sure that I have those friends that are there to continue to build me up (iron sharpens iron).  But then, I still need to maintain the friendships with those people that simply, aren't there.  Ha I believe this has been something that my parents don't really like that much.  I mean, I've kind of been that person to just hang out with anyone, and it just so happened that a lot of the crazy ones enjoyed spending time with me.  Basically because I am transparent, but at the same time, I tell them like it is.  I've never actually argued my reasoning with my parents.  The opportunity to discuss it with them never came up either.  I don't necessarily believe that is is right to argue things that God is telling you to do.  You can discuss the differences, but arguing is a completely different matter.  I may never actually share that with my parents.   But it is interesting at how there may just be differences of opinions. 

Then I think God has also revealed to me that although I'm a leader, I need to respect the leadership of others, even if I don't agree with it.  I don't necessarily have that problem too much until I feel as though my parents are establishing something ridiculous.  I automatically place myself in the criteria that because I'm "20" that I don't exactly need to follow the instructions of my parents.  I get frustrated because when I'm at school, I can simply take a 3 hour trip somewhere anytime I want.  Then when I'm home with my parents, I have to ask a few days in advance just to drive out 20 minutes. I often decide not to go anywhere because I would rather not have to ask for permission.  I'm the "experimental" child, so my parents have not necessarily had an adult child before, so they have no idea of where to "let go".  But despite my frustrations of it all, I have to still respect what they want while I'm home. 

I think this may be a little choppy here and there.  But I really wanted to share what I've been learning so far.  I'm looking forward to continuing on with this book.  God is definitely shaping me up to being a great leader.

-Quayla

No comments:

Post a Comment