Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Summer is here! Developing Habits

I've been trying to write a blog since I got home... but I didn't get home until about 10:30 last night, plus I just didn't feel like doing much of anything... then I was rather exhausted and went to bed early.

It's crazy at how your body just crashes from exhaustion.  Like, I've been able to keep up with everything for the most part all semester.  Going to bed at 2:30 or so almost every night.  And then waking up at around 7:30-8 every morning during the week.  It was definitely an interesting thing to factor out.  But I know that next semester I will have to maintain a better sleeping schedule.  Luckily, I won't have any morning classes, so I will be able to get at least 8 hours of sleep on most nights. (hopefully haha).

I'm rather excited about next year! I really want to enjoy my summer, but I am really looking forward to coming back and taking on the responsibility of being an RA.  However, I am going to make the most of my summer by developing habits that I need to carry on into not only the next year, but the rest of my life.

#1. Making a DETAILED and CONSISTENT schedule of my life.  I was able to do pretty well with it in the Fall semester and during Freshman year.  I slacked off during the Spring Semester.  But I think sometime within the next week or so, I am going to start plugging in the schedule that I know for sure.  So then when I get more stuff, I can just add it in.  I also need a habit of making a schedule every single week.

#2.   Have a decent sleeping schedule. Like I mentioned earlier.. as much as I would want to, I can't go to bed at 2:30 every single night.  I know with doing curfew checks that there will be times where I will be up late, but I think that at least going to bed by 1, 1:30 should be a doable option.

#3. Reading.  As of now, my reading list for the Summer is compiled of 5 books.  Three are required for me.  And two I want to read for pleasure.  I will alternate from requirements.  So right now, I started out reading the Hunger Games, which is a pleasure book.  After I finish that, I will go to Not a Fan, which is a required book for me (I need to finish it as soon to before we assign our leadership team to read it).  Then I'll go to my pleasure book, Blood Covenant, which is about a man who was a leader of a mob and suddenly left the mob lifestyle).  Then I'll go and read the Way of the Shepherd.  If I don't have time to read another pleasure book, then I'll go into reading Called to Lead.  But I do want to make it a habit of reading SO much more than what I have been. If I recreate the love for reading, I feel as though I will have so much more of a mental stability that what I have been.  Ha

#4. Internet.  I spend SO much of my free time on the Internet.  I mean, it is a good avenue of relaxation, but I do know that next semester, I will not have the time to do every single leisure thing.  I feel as though I waste the most time on the Internet, so that will be one of the first things that I will have to cut.  I feel that since I will be spending a lot of time reading this Summer, the habit of being on the Internet either playing a video game or random browsing, etc. will have the become minimal.

#5. Evaluations.  I'm going to spend the next week or so writing down the things in my life that I really need to get in order before I even think about taking this step into a higher leadership position.  While I am doing that, I will be taking the time to read more about leaders.  Not only leaders mentioned in the Bible, but also leaders that were impactful to the modern world but were adamant in their relationship with God.

#6. Quiet Times.  No one can never really be satisfied with their current relationship with Christ.  You have to always have that desire to want to grow more and more.  Simply because there is SO much more that a person can learn about Christ.  I feel as though I have a pretty consistent quiet time schedule. This year, I have usually done them before I went to bed.  I felt more attentive that way, and then everyone was usually in bed far longer than I was.  I felt as though I wasn't really disturbed much.  I don't think people really grasp ed the idea that I was having quiet times (when I was clearly reading my bible) when I did my quiet times earlier.  But I really want to get into the habit of having my quiet times in the morning when I get up as well as before I go to bed at night.


Those are six of the things that I know I definitely need to work on this summer to create a habit.  I know I've been given until June to actually start working on planning for next year. That will give me about three weeks of a leisure break.  I need to actually begin applying for some jobs soon.  Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, but we shall see.

Through it all, I am really excited about the things that God has in store.  It's just amazing of how far He is taking me. I am truly blessed, humbled, and honored to be able to be used as a vessel to minister to others, to help bring them closer to Christ! =)

-Quayla

No comments:

Post a Comment