Monday, May 14, 2012

Book One Completion: The Hunger Games

So I think that after every book that I complete this Summer, I'm going to post a blog about it.  Basically giving details of what the book was about as well as what I thought about it.  I think this will be a good idea as far as helping me retain what I read, and also some of the books I actually have to write a brief essay about, so writing as I go will definitely help me.

The first book that I completed was the Hunger Games.

I decided to read this one first because for one, everyone was telling me that I should read it.. and two, I wanted to give my brain a chance to relax.  Nothing school related.  Well anyways, I read the Hunger Games in four days.  I must say, that was the quickest that I have read a book of that size (400 pgs) in a LONG time.  I really got lost in the book.  I never even heard about the Hunger Games until the movie came out a couple of months ago.  It came out of nowhere.  People were talking about it and I was like... the Hunger Games?  Does this have something to do with food?  Ha.  So after asking around, I've found out that the Hunger Games is pretty much about 24 children from the ages of 12-18, being randomly selected for a format of a deathly (roman-style I would assume) games.  It's basically like the survival of the fittest of the children of 12 districts.  One boy and one girl from each district.  The 24 children are basically placed into an arena and they have to kill each other.  The last man standing wins.

The concept in itself is just a tad weird.  "A story about children killing each other".  But for some reason, I really enjoy story lines that has something to do with murder, mysteries, etc.  I have to say, honestly, I was a little skeptical about the children thing.  But then I was like, hey I can just pretend that they aren't kids or something. ha.  But when you actually read the book, you do somehow forget that they are kids.  It is in first person (which I like).  The character, Katniss definitely had the maturity of an adult.  At 16, Katniss had a numerous amount of adult responsibilities which made it a lot easier for me to have the perception that she was an Adult.  The measure of her care about things was great.

The book did pull me in emotionally, however.   It was crazy.  Especially because I had so many people give me so many details about the book.  I knew that Katniss was going to win.  Then my sister, Janay, told me that the other boy from her district, Peeta was able to become a "winner" too.  The Gamemakers of the Hunger Games changed the rules so that there could be two winners.  Although I knew that stuff, I was still able to be shocked and surprised of the events of the book.  How it happened, and when they happened.  The book never got boring.

The thing about the book which I greatly admired is the fact that it kept me wanting to know more.  The story didn't just end.  It ended with me having some many unanswered questions that I can only find the answer to by reading the other books in the series.  Like Katniss' and Peeta's relationship.  Where does it go? During the Hunger Games, Katniss believed that her and Peeta were supposed to have a "staged" love story as a form of rebellion to owners of the Districts, (The Capitol).  Katniss was told by her advisors to continue this on.  She believed that Peeta's emotional act was staged too.  The only thing was that, Peeta's acts were genuine for her.  The misunderstanding didn't surface until the very end of the book.   I got so hooked that I currently feel as though I NEED to get my hands on the other books.  The library has them on hold. There are 146 holds on those books. It's CRAZY. Ha but it's SO good that I understand why so many people would want to read them.  

I feel as though the details that I could give of the book would require me literally writing a blog post so long that no one would even think about reading it. But I was so into this book and excited about it that I can't even imagine how upset I would be when I finish reading the series.  Hopefully I can get my hands on them this Summer.

-Quayla

No comments:

Post a Comment