Thursday, July 26, 2012

This... Homosexuality...Uproar?

I can tell you up front that I'm not the type of person that argues.  I do like to make my opinions known and have discussions, but if I have to make a flat out argument with someone, I try to avoid it completely as much as possible. So when it comes to arguing with spiritual things. I immediately pull into the "seriously?" mode of things when I see arguments.  Christians argue with other Christians.  Christians argue with non-Christians.  I'm kind of like Rodney King... "Can't We All Just Get Along?"

Well, before I take a stance and reveal on my personal opinions, I like to view both sides objectively.  Both cases of things.  

A few days ago, the CEO of Chick-fil-a made a statement supporting the fact that the company was against the LGBT movement. Ever since then, there has been a firm disapproval from LGBT supporters of the company, which ultimately seems to pose a threat to the company in itself.  Homosexuality is a big deal for the Christian community. So for the past four years (namely after Obama was elected), the vocal volume of the biblical stance of homosexuality has been magnified. After Obama made a public statement about his support of homosexuality, I have seen more and more fb posts of disapproval for homosexuality and more and more fb posts of approval for homosexuality.   Actually putting themselves in a position to start an argument on both sides.  

The thing that gets me thinking the most is that both sides tend to intentionally instigate arguments.  For one, the LGBT community and its supporters know for a fact that Christians and Christian companies are by no means supporters of homosexuality.  So for them to continue asking a Christian what their views on it is, for one is very audacious and stupid.  EVERYONE knows the Christian stance on homosexuality.  So why ask something that you already know the answer to? But the thing that most Christians do is act as though the LGBT community and its supporters do not know about their stance.  It's like they force feed the issue as being the only primary moral issue that we are dealing with as a country.

 As a Christian, I have been in that place where knowing someone was a homosexual was a freaky thing for me.  It actually stroke fear for me as a kid.   Yes, as a Christian, I firmly believe that the act of homosexuality is wrong.  But, like any other situation that I approach, I have to first put myself in someone else's shoes.  If I were dealing with homosexuality, how would I want someone to minister to me?  I think we all really should think about it (honestly) in that way, it could ultimately put us in a better position to minster to others.  

So I'm going to take the time to emphasize here. The thing that I had to learn is that homosexuality can be and is a serious struggle. I wouldn't necessarily put it in the category of a mental illness, but it ultimately can be like one. I do believe that the devil in some form established it to be like or appear to be like a genetic.  Like a baby can be born with a birth defect. Some people tend to adapt with their surroundings and the trait just develops over time.  I don't necessarily believe that it could be something that every person initially chooses to have. But of course without truly clinging to the saving grace of Christ, a person can easily fall into that lifestyle.  Then there are some people who just blatantly choose to have the lifestyle and don't even think to try to resist it.  But ultimately, "born" with it or not, acting on homosexuality is a decision. 

I think as an African American, I can somewhat identify with what it feels to be ridiculed, or told that I can't do anything because of the color of my skin. I have been told to my face that it was a sin to be in an interracial relationship.  I have been talked about or treated like I was an inferior because I was black. Even my "romantic" relationships are placed on the back burner because of the color of my skin.  The thing that is so crazy is that I haven't even gotten a TOUCH of what it was like 40-50+ years ago when I couldn't even use the same bathroom as a white person. Being an African American then was like being a homosexual is now. Homosexuals are beaten, cursed at, told that they're going to Hell, killed, treated like outcasts, and the like.

Disclaimer: I'm not by any means saying that the situation is similar.  But this is the closest thing that I could think of at the moment to use to express my point.

While I do believe that we as the Christian community should take a stance on our opinions about Homosexuality without wavering, I do believe that we should also take just as much time to evaluate our own personal pride.  Are we fighting against this just to prove that we are right in God's eyes? Or are we doing this because we genuinely love them and don't want their blessings from God to be hindered?  Remember, we are no more or less deserving of Hell.  The only difference is that we have made the decision to open up our hearts to God and let Him work and move in our lives.  That's the most important thing.  More than converting someone from being a homosexual to a straight person.  Yes, the most important thing that you can do for a homosexual is offering them the opportunity to come to Christ.  You can't change them, God can. Put yourself in their shoes, how would you want someone to minister to you if you were in that situation? If they jump off the back and told you that you were going to Hell or that you were the cause of all things bad, would you be accepting?  Don't be the reason why someone pulls away from Christ. 

I think that with the moral position that our country is in, this is the perfect opportunity for the body of Christ to come out strong and win souls for Christ.  But in order to effectively do that, we have to get our pride out of the way.  Pride is a very serious thing and until we get a grip on it and get rid of it, we will put a stumbling to our effectiveness in ministry.

In all of this though, I am really glad that we have the opportunity to experience the saving grace of God.  

-Quayla


No comments:

Post a Comment