Sunday, January 1, 2012

Joseph-That Leader

I've been thinking a lot about leadership lately.  Of course you hear from time to time that "so and so" is a GREAT leader.  But it actually made me want to look just a tad further as to what distinguishes a good leader... from a GREAT leader...


That's where the question "Where do I fit in?" comes.  I never really understood the fact as to why people said that I had the capabilities of being a leader. I felt as though it was strange, being the fact that I don't "force" my way into the perceived leadership position. Yes, I tend to be very competitive, but I somehow step aside and let someone else take that know "leadership" role in a group. Although I enjoy being the "go-to" person, I actually tend to sit back.  I'm not the "everything needs to be my way or else" kind of person....
But I'm not a "I'll let them handle it until they get lost or chaos comes" kind of leader either.

I've even taken classes where we discussed the types of leaders in groups, and I didn't fall into ANY of them... or at least I struggle with figuring it out.  So hearing the words "Quayla, you're a leader" really makes me wonder....

But then I started to reflect and think this....  "What attributes of a leader should I have? if I am, in fact going to be a leader? Or am one?"  


But for some reason... God bought me to Joseph.  I've read about him A LOT growing up.  Of course, there is always something more revelation to receive about the Word of God in every passage.  You can never FULLY receive a revelation in any portion.

Some of the things that were pointed out to me about Joseph's leadership were actually like "oh duh!" moments... but then there were a few that was like.. "wow.. I didn't know that!"  It was definitely insightful.

Joseph Mastered The Little Things...
Joseph was a slave... what can be more low than being a slave? He made the best of it, mastered that position and was promoted to being Potipher's personal servant... Then he went on to master in that position as well... But then he ended up in prison (Which I will discuss in a bit)... However, When Joseph was placed in prison, the warden apparently liked him so much that he placed him in charge of a certain amount of prisioners....

That's definitely something that leaders should take into consideration... The things that really don't seem like a big deal to us, may actually be a BIG deal in the long run..  

Joseph Did Not Give Into Sexual Temptation

Potipher's wife attempted to seduce Joseph. Which led to him being placed in prison basically.  Now, for the average man... actually.. for any man.. that is NOT and easy thing to deal with. I can't really say how Potipher's wife looked in appearance, but let's just assume that she was pretty. Joseph to taking the initiative to run away from the temptation was a BIG deal. 

Leaders cannot give into those temptations.. it is definitely a hard in our generation to resist it. Especially when everything in media, music, friends, etc. are making it appear acceptable. But it is important to take a stand against those temptations and run away from it

Joseph Respected His Leaders

That's definitely one that we don't think about often...  Joseph respected Potipher enough to not sleep with his wife... 

Joseph Was Concerned With the Way God Viewed Him.
 Joseph fled from temptation because he was concerned about him sinning against God (Genesis 39:9).  Although he did express his respect for Potipher, he was more concerned with the evil act. 

Joseph Was Patient
He spent about 13 years in slavery... He probably didn't know what God's plan for him was from the beginning, but he allowed God to work and move on his behalf...

Joseph Gave All Credit to God For His Gift

Joseph was able to interpret dreams! I mean, we've all heard of those crazy people that try to tell you what your dreams mean.. When majority of those people are just trying to get money out of it. ABSOLUTELY gives NO credit to God.. 

Joseph was God-inspired, which is why he had the gift to interpret dreams. It's only right to give Him credit for it.

Joseph Encouraged Others to Lead-He was Humble
Joseph didn't jump into the leadership role after he explained Pharaoh's dream.  He immediately told Pharaoh that he had to find someone that fit the qualifications to lead Egypt through the famine. 


Joseph Was Strategic/He Planned
I don't know how it was humanly possible to store enough food to last an entire population of Egypt for 7 Years... Let alone, having enough to give out to people who were not living in Egypt! Either their appetites weren't nearly as big as ours or something... But however it was done, definitely required a lot of time to plan. He mastered that..


Joseph didn't allow his "past" to determine his future...


It's hard to deal with when your own flesh and blood sells you into slavery.  How can you deal with that? I'm sure Joseph had a lot of time to think about it. He had to have experienced a lot of hurt and pain. But he was able to forgive and act on forgiveness... 




Those were a few things that I was able to pull from it.. Definitely a good thing to use to examine where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment