Sunday, April 15, 2012

Next year

So I'm kind of in the mood to write an "update" blog today.

I'm somewhat ready for the school year to be over.  I think I just want it to be next year.   But this summer is definitely going to be a year of growth as a person... as a leader... as a Christian.  It's always important to grow... but I do feel as though for me, this summer will be the most beneficial.

My goals:

Read... read read read....
I did pretty good last summer by reading 3 books.  If I can do a book every two weeks this summer, that would be pretty amazing.  So far, here is what is on my list (books for pleasure, and for growth, assigned).


  • Blood Covenant by Michael Franzese
  • The Way of the Shepherd by Kevin Leman
  • Called to Lead by John MacArthur
  • Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I know that I can definitely get those books completed.  And I'm sure there will be more books that I will be assigned to read from OSL.  I'll check.  I'm definitely going do a summer reading plan.  For some reason lately, I've been more drawn to reading through the Old Testament.  I have been pinpointing the leadership styles in the Old Testament over the course of the year.  So far, it has shown and helped me in my personal leadership style-> with the things that I could improve on and knowing about the things that I shouldn't do.  I know that I can do it.  So I will create a personal plan from the end of the school year up until August 2.  That's 3 months.. I can definitely accomplish that.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to work this summer.  My dad is probably going to get me something to do for his business. If not, then hopefully I will have a place to work.  But if I can end the summer with about $1,500 (or something over $1,000).  That would be really good.  I'll have a little cushion for coming into the school year to get my books, etc.  Put some money towards my camera and other things for my hall.  Fun stuff =)


I went to RA training today.  I'm actually looking forward to being able to listen to Danny Lamonte over the course of the next year.  In just an hour and a half, I have learned a lot.  I definitely gained a new perspective on what it takes to be an RA.  I do know that today was only just a small percentage of learning.  There will be 8 days worth of RA training when I come back in August.  

But one thing that I was really reminded about today was how we have to take ownership of our hall. It's our ministry.  I think that when we take ownership of something in that nature, we are able to have an emotional connection.  Which I feel is why I really had to learn how to emphasize over the course of this year.  For the girls on my hall... they're going to be mine... If they hurt, I need to hurt.. if they're struggling, I struggle... if they're happy, I'm happy.  I think I'm definitely going to be focusing on that the most next year.  In Romans 12, it talks about where we need to emphasize.. and I want to continue on with that. It will definitely be a way that I can connect and be used as a vessel to minister to them.  

I wouldn't say that I'm scared about being an RA next year, but I must admit that there is a form of uncertainty. Like, sometimes I want to premediate and prepare for the challenges that I'm going to face. I know coming into this school year, I never knew that I would have aced the challenges that I've faced.  But honestly, I have to say that those challenges have better prepared me for this position. I think also, what I'm trying to figure out is balance. Will I burn out?  I sit around making sure that I'm planning my class schedules in the right way so that I'll be able to handle everything.  Making sure that I won't be stupid.  I will need to have a detailed schedule.  I'm sure that I'll have room for flexibility, but I do know that there will be time that I won't have to be flexible. I will need to definitely pinpoint the areas in my life that I will need to sacrifice next year.  It's going to be pressure, but then at the same time, I'm confident in knowing that God is going to use me for something great.  Which makes me excited!  

I think that being in a new position always excites me! I'm definitely looking forward to the awesome things that God is going to do!

-Quayla

No comments:

Post a Comment